Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Quick and Easy Spicy Grilled Shrimp

Josh keeps telling me that if I continue to cook such good food that I am going to have to open a restaurant. I just laugh because I have worked in my fair share of restaurants, and it isn't an easy business. I can however share my cooking experiences with everyone else and give some good recipes. Most of the things that I cook are adapted from my family, including my mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother. Occasionally my dad gives me pointers or makes some crazy creation that I can't get enough of!

So the first recipe I'm going to share is one that I created myself... and beware, it has a bite!

Spicy Grilled Shrimp

1 to 1 1/2 lbs of frozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp. of olive oil
2 tbsp. of Weber Kickin' Chicken seasoning - you could substitute this with minced garlic, crushed red pepper, and some cajun seasoning - not the same but it will do
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tbsp of cajun seasoning
1/4 cup of honey
1/3 cup of orange marmalade (I get the generic and like it much better than name brand)


Put your shrimp in a zip-lock bag. Marinate the shrimp in the lemon juice, olive oil and Kickin' Chicken seasoning for about 30 minutes to an hour - depending on how much time you have.

Put the shrimp on skewers - if using wooden ones you should soak them in water while you are marinating your shrimp, but I prefer the metal ones. Grill shrimp for about 10 minutes on med-low heat or until they have turned white and have that nice grilled color.

The shrimp is good just like this, but to add an extra boost of flavor, in a small sauce pan combine your honey, marmalade and cajun seasoning. Heat the sauce until warm.

The shrimp is best served on a bed of wild rice with the sauce drizzled over the top. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment